Xilinx Ultrascale+ Safety Platform
Example for an Ultrascale+ Safety Platform
This solution shall meet the following requirements:
- Linux on Cortex-A53 Quad-Core - We want to use symmetric multiprocessing with Linux on the Cortex-A53 Quad-Core for high-performance calculations.
- Flexible Safety RTOS on Cortex-R5 - To meet safety diagnostic coverage, we run Cortex-R5 in Lock-Step Mode with the Flexible Safety RTOS.
- Safe Inter-Core Communication - We want to use end-to-end protected communication between the Linux and RTOS application parts.
Furthermore, this solution shall meet some high-level business goals:
- Integrated Platform - We want to start application development, without the need for integration activities of RTOS and Linux system
- LTS for complete Platform - We want to have a long-term supported (LTS) safety platform.
Flexible Safety RTOS
- Scheduling safety-related tasks
- Task synchronization services
- Task communication services
- Inter-Core Communication
- Configurable end-to-end protection
- Workshop for system handling
The Linux distribution from Xilinx with special adjustments to the Ultrascale+ ensures:
- Linux application programming
- Device driver availability
- Optimized for symmetric multi-processing
This usage scenario provides a Linux application software on a high-performance quad-core Cortex-A53, monitored by the Flexible Safety RTOS running on the lockstep Cortex-R5 cores. A safe communication and monitoring library completes this high-performance system. All safety software parts are already pre-certified.